Master’s/Certificate in Operative Dentistry
To obtain a Master of Science in Dental Sciences with specialization in Operative and Esthetic Dentistry (24 months), individuals must first successfully complete a 12 month Certificate Program in Operative and Esthetic Dentistry at the University of Florida College of Dentistry. Upon successful completion of the 36-month program, students will receive a certificate in operative dentistry and a Master of Science in Dental Science with a concentration in operative and esthetic dentistry.
This program is designed to meet the growing need for future educators in operative dentistry. The first year of the program is focused on the theory and practice of dental education and preparation for clinical patient care. The focus of the following two years expands upon the student’s knowledge of cariology, prevention, esthetics, digital dentistry, materials science, research and patient care. In addition, each student will complete a master’s level research project. Up to 3 (three) students will be accepted each year. Eligible applicants must hold a DDS or DMD degree from an accredited dental college in the US or its equivalent from foreign institutions.
Tuition is required. A stipend is available.
Friday, January 13, 2017 is the deadline to apply to this program.
We strongly encourage all applicants to have complete applications on file with UFCD prior to the deadline.
1. Send the following materials to UF College of Dentistry
Dr. Pamela Sandow
University of Florida College of Dentistry/Operative Dentistry
P.O. Box 100402
1395 Center Drive, D3-5
Gainesville FL 32610-0402
- University of Florida College of Dentistry Application
- Personal Statement
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Digital photo
Email your photograph to the admissions office. Send the file in JPEG format and make sure your photo is not smaller than 400 x 400 pixels and not larger than 1200 x 1200 pixels. Photos should show you from the shoulders up, directly facing the camera. See examples of correct and incorrect photos⤷
- Original official undergraduate school transcripts sent from the institution
Did you attend the University of Florida? If yes, we might be able to get your transcripts for you. Please contact GradAdmissions@dental.ufl.edu.
- Additional Requirement for applicants from Puerto Rico: Official TOEFL Scores
Applicants who attended dental school in Puerto Rico are required to submit Official TOEFL scores.
A minimum TOEFL score of 80 (Internet-Based version) or 550 (paper-based) is required.
The UF College of Dentistry code is 8612.
Please note that TOEFL scores expire after 2 years. For the 2017 Application Cycle, TOEFL scores must be dated February 10, 2015 or later.
In addition to completing the application requirements listed above, Internationally-Educated Dentists are required to submit additional documentation in order to be eligible for admission. Click here to review the list of additional requirements.
Application Status Updates
- The Office of Admissions will work hard to process your application in a timely manner. Please be aware that it can take up to four weeks.
- Within two weeks of receiving your complete UF Online Graduate Application and University of Florida College of Dentistry Application, the Office of Admissions will send you a confirmation via email.
- After processing your application, which can take an additional two weeks, the Office of Admissions will send you an email outlining your current application status and any remaining actions you need to take in order to complete your application.
- Complete applications will be forwarded to the program director on a rolling basis.
- Applicants with incomplete applications will not be eligible for admission.
- Selected candidates are required to participate in an interview at the College of Dentistry in Gainesville, Florida.
- Applicants who are invited to interview will be notified.
- The interview includes an Admissions Workshop.
- Interviews for the Master’s in Operative Dentistry Program will be held during the month of February.
At time of interview, the following documents must be presented to the University of Florida College of Dentistry Office of Admissions staff:
- Original official graduate school transcripts (if applicable)
From any institution of higher learning attended after undergraduate study