36-month M.S./certificate program
The goal of this program is to develop Periodontists who desire to enter clinical practice or an academic career in Periodontics. Graduates of this program will develop the ability to:
- Apply scientific-based therapeutic techniques to treat diseases of the periodontium.
- Manage all types and degrees of periodontal disease, mucogingival deformities, and inter-disciplinary therapies.
- Perform esthetic surgeries to correct soft tissue deficiencies.
- Manage alveolar defects with the latest techniques of hard and soft tissue grafting.
- Place and restore dental implants.
- Appreciate and conduct research in Periodontology.
This is a 36-month program which leads to a Certificate in Periodontics and a Master of Science in Dental Sciences with specialization in Periodontics. The program fulfills guidelines set forth by the Council on Dental Education and the American Academy of Periodontology.
Academically oriented students may elect to pursue a Ph.D. degree either concurrent with the certificate program or subsequently. UF does not offer a PhD in Periodontics. It is possible to combine Periodontics training with a PhD in Oral Biology. Contact the Department of Oral Biology for information on the PhD program.
A stipend is available. Tuition is required.
- Program Description
- Department website⤷
- Tuition, Fees & Stipends⤷
- Financial aid information
- Matriculant Requirements
Friday, August 1, 2014 is the deadline to apply to this program.
We strongly encourage all applicants to have complete applications on file with PASS and UFCD prior to the deadline.
1. Apply to PASS
All program applicants must apply through PASS (Postdoctoral Application Support Service), which is sponsored by the American Association of Dental Schools (www.adea.org⤷). PASS is an application clearinghouse that provides uniform information to participating programs while relieving applicants of the burden of completing multiple individual applications. The PASS website opens for application in late spring/early summer. Participation in the PASS program is mandatory. We advise applicants to apply as early as possible.
For an application and instructions, please contact:
Additional documentation to include on PASS application:
- Personal statement
- One Professional Evaluation Form (PEF)
2. Apply directly to the University of Florida Graduate School
Complete the Online Graduate Application⤷.
- Select the “Graduate” option (do NOT select “Professional”).
- Mark “Masters” and “Summer B 2015″ for the term.
- The UF Online Graduate Application requires a non-refundable $30 fee. Instructions about how to submit payment are included at the end of the online application.
3. Send the following materials to UF College of Dentistry
Dr. Pamela Sandow
University of Florida College of Dentistry/Periodontics
P.O. Box 100402
Gainesville FL 32610-0402
- Original official undergraduate school transcripts sent from the institution
- Digital Photo
Email your photograph to the admissions office. Send the file in JPEG format and make sure your photo is not smaller than 400 x 400 pixels and not larger than 1200 x 1200 pixels. Photos should show you from the shoulders up, directly facing the camera. See examples of correct and incorrect photos⤷
- National Boards Part I and II scores
Scores must be reported directly to UFCD. Request your scores from:
Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations⤷
211 East Chicago Ave., #1846
Chicago, IL 60611
800-621-8099 ext 465
Application Status Updates
- The Office of Admissions will work hard to process your complete PASS application in a timely manner. Please be aware that it can take up to four weeks.
- Within two weeks of receiving your complete PASS application, the Office of Admissions will send you a confirmation via email.
- After processing your complete PASS application, which can take an additional two weeks, the Office of Admissions will send you an email outlining your current application status and any remaining actions you need to take in order to complete your application.
- Complete applications will be forwarded to the program director on a rolling basis.
- Applicants with incomplete applications will not be eligible for admission.
Fellowship and Internship Opportunities
Contact the Office of Continuing Education⤷ for more information about fellowships and internships.