All Acceptances are Conditional
Accepted students have requirements to complete in order to be eligible for matriculation at UF College of Dentistry (UFCD). Some of the conditions include:
- Maintaining high professional standards of conduct
- Continued satisfactory academic achievement
- United States citizenship or United States permanent residency (valid green card)
- Completion of the DAT with a score of 15 or higher in all sections
- Completion of all prerequisite courses with a C or better
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree (or higher) from a regionally-accredited college or university in the U.S. or Canada
- Completion of any degree program (bachelor’s, master’s, doctorate, or other professional degree) in which the accepted student is currently enrolled
- Completion of a criminal background check with results deemed favorable by the College
- Completion of a dean’s certification form with results deemed favorable by the College
- Ongoing full disclosure of any past or future violations of the law or charges of misconduct
- Completion of required immunizations, two TB screenings, and eye examination
- Enrollment in the UF student health insurance plan or proof of comparable coverage
- Acknowledgement of the University of Florida process for establishing state residency classifications for tuition purposes
- Acknowledgement of the Technical Standards required for satisfactory completion of dental school
Accepted students are required to have earned a bachelor’s degree (or higher) from a regionally-accredited college or university in the United States or Canada prior to matriculation in August. Additionally, accepted students are required to complete any degree program (bachelor’s, master’s, doctorate, or other professional degree programs) in which they are currently enrolled prior to matriculation.
The following courses are required for enrollment in UFCD. Prior to matriculation, all prerequisites must be completed with a letter grade of C or higher (no pass/fail credits allowed*) from a regionally-accredited college or university in the U.S. or Canada, including community/state colleges.
- English: 6 semester hours or 8 quarter hours
- Biology: 8 semester hours or 12 quarter hours
- General Chemistry: 8 semester hours or 12 quarter hours
- Organic Chemistry: 8 semester hours or 12 quarter hours
- Physics (with or without calculus): 8 semester hours or 12 quarter hours
The following prerequisites must be upper-level courses (3000-4000 / 300-400 course numbers)
- Microbiology: 3 semester hours or 4 quarter hours (upper-level coursework)
- Biochemistry: 3 semester hours or 4 quarter hours (upper-level coursework)
*Pass/Fail special considerations
- For coursework completed in 2020, pass/fail grades will be considered if your school did not provide an option for letter grades. Please locate your school’s webpage that outlines the policy details and save that link.
- AP/IB credit is accepted if the courses are listed by the undergraduate institution as course-specific credit that is applied toward a bachelor’s degree on the official transcript.
Target Date June 1st – For the 2023-2024 admissions cycle, it is strongly encouraged for all applicants to complete their prerequisite courses by June 2024. Completion of prerequisite courses by June 2024 is an important factor when extending offers of admission to candidates on the waitlist.
To simulate the dental school experience, taking in-person prerequisite courses (when available) is strongly recommended.
Criminal Background Check
All accepted students are required to complete a background check. Accepted students will be contacted by Certiphi Screening Incorporated via email within a day or two of receiving an offer of admission. The cost of the background check varies from student to student, but is usually under $100. Results of the background check must be deemed favorable by the College.
Dean’s Certification Form
UFCD requires the completion of a dean’s certification form which verifies student academic and conduct records. All entering students must submit forms from every institution at which they have earned (or will earn) a degree. Results of the dean’s certification form(s) must be deemed favorable by the College.
Immunizations, TB Screenings, & Eye Exam
Entering students are required to provide proof of the following immunizations prior to matriculation:
- Hepatitis B
- MCV4 (Menactra/Menveo)
- Tuberculosis screening – 2 step series
- Eye Exam
Immunizations are a matriculation requirement and have no bearing on the application process. Please wait to discuss your immunization status once you have accepted an offer and paid the tuition deposit that secures your place in the class.
UF Mandatory Health Insurance Requirement
All UFCD students are required to purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan unless proof of comparable coverage is provided.
Please contact UF Health Compliance Office for any questions concerning compliance:
The main University of Florida Admissions and Registrar offices manage the process for determining in-state and out-of-state status for tuition purposes. The initial residency classification is determined by the University of Florida Admissions based upon information provided on the supplemental application. The state of legal residence listed on your ADEA AADSAS application has no bearing on residency reclassification. Failure to provide all relevant information and required documentation in the residency section of the admission application could result in a non-Florida or out-of-state resident classification for tuition purposes. In addition, failure to provide any additionally requested documentation or information may also result in a non-Florida resident classification.
After the completion of the first year at the university, a request for reclassification or change of residency status, known as a residency reclassification, can be made through the University of Florida Registrar. Residency status cannot be evaluated retroactively and is not guaranteed.