Other Loans

Health Professions Student Loans and Loans for Disadvantaged Students

The Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL) program and the Loans for Disadvantaged Students (LDS) program provide long-term, low-interest loans to certain health professions students. HPSL recipients must be financially needy, and LDS recipients must be financially needy and from a disadvantaged background.

These programs are regulated and funded by the Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA), a division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

How Are HPSL & LDS Different from Federal Direct Loans?

  • Subsidized – Interest does not accrue while you are in school nor during the grace period
  • Lower interest rate – 5% fixed
  • 12-month grace period (vs. 6 months)
  • UF is the lender (vs. the Department of Education)

How Can I Get an HPSL and/or LDS?

The only application necessary for HPSL and LDS is the FAFSA. It is highly recommended that you file your FAFSA early as funding for these loans is limited. You must file a FAFSA each and every year.

You MUST include parent financial information on your FAFSA. This is a regulation set by HRSA. The only exception to the parent information requirement is if both parents are deceased. There are no other exceptions for special or extenuating circumstances. Please note that if your parent(s) reside in a foreign country and/or do not pay taxes, it is still possible to include their information on your FAFSA.

All DMD students who have a FAFSA on file with parent financial information may be considered for HPSL and LDS. All eligible students are considered equally every year. Previous recipients are not guaranteed to receive a loan again, and no special consideration is given to previous recipients.

What Happens If I Am Awarded an HPSL and/or LDS?

Recipients will be notified via email by the UFCD Financial Aid Coordinator of their loan. This email will contain the student’s Loan Approval Disclosure and important information on next steps in the process. All recipients must complete promissory note paperwork, which will be provided and processed by the University Bursar. The loan funds will not disburse until the Bursar has the promissory note paperwork on file.

Additional Information

The above information is for individuals currently in or starting the DMD Program.