The B.S.-D.M.D Program saves one year of school for outstanding college freshmen who know they are interested in becoming dentists and are committed to attending the University of Florida College of Dentistry. Students accepted in this program complete a B.S. degree and a D.M.D. degree in 7 years, instead of 8 years.
During the first three years of this program, students enroll in a carefully sequenced series of courses to meet both their undergraduate university’s baccalaureate degree requirements and the College of Dentistry’s admissions requirements. Students who are admitted into this program will choose a major in either Microbiology and Cell Science or Nutritional Sciences within the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences.
During what would have been the senior year of college, B.S.-D.M.D. Program students enter the freshman class at the College of Dentistry. An ADEA AADSAS application is not required. Credits from the dental program are transferred back to the undergraduate college to complete the baccalaureate degree requirements. Approved students spend a minimum of 90 hours in the bachelor’s program and four years in the dental program.
If you are still in high school: please review this material carefully for your future, but do not apply until the end of your freshman year at the University of Florida.
B.S.-D.M.D. Eligibility Requirements
- University of Florida freshman.
- Must be a United States citizen or United States permanent resident (green card holder) at time of application.
- An overall unweighted high school GPA of no less than 3.75/4.00 and an unweighted high school science GPA of no less than 3.50/4.00.
- A total SAT score of at least 1350; or an ACT score of at least 29.
- At least two full-time semesters (not including summer semesters) completed at the University of Florida. At least two college-level science courses must be completed, with a minimum overall GPA of no less than 3.75/4.00 and a science GPA of no less than 3.50/4.00. Acceptable science courses include general biology, general chemistry, and general physics courses designed for science and pre-professional students.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of and commitment to a career in dentistry as evidenced by prior exposure to the profession (dental experience).
- Additional experiences including research, leadership, volunteer, community service, employment, involvement, and extracurricular activities.
B.S.-D.M.D. Application Requirements
- A completed Application Form. We strongly encourage you to download and fill this application out electronically. You can email the application to DMDAdmissions@dental.ufl.edu or send it by mail to: PO Box 100445, 1395 Center Drive, D3-5, Gainesville, FL 32610. The application is posted in the spring.
- Official high school transcripts including graduation date and class rank at time of graduation.
- Three Letters of Evaluation from instructors (e.g. professors, lecturers, faculty) or professionals who know your work well. We do not require letters to be written by specific individuals. These letters need to be submitted by the letter writer directly to the University of Florida College of Dentistry Office of Admissions via email to DMDAdmissions@dental.ufl.edu or mail to: PO Box 100445, 1395 Center Drive, D3-5, Gainesville, FL 32610.
The application deadline is May 15 annually. All application requirements must be received by the deadline.
Competitive applicants will be invited to the College of Dentistry for an in-person interview with the Admissions Committee. Interviews will take place during the summer. The interview day will also include a tour of the dental school, lunch with current dental students, a discussion of the educational program at the college, and the opportunity to ask questions.
B.S.-D.M.D. Matriculation Requirements
- Demonstrate sustained understanding of issues related to the dental profession evidenced by continued contact with the profession through observation, volunteer, research and/or work activities.
- Completion of a pre-enrollment interview with the Assistant Dean of Admissions.
- Maintain high professional standards of conduct.
- Progress through the prescribed UF undergraduate curriculum and maintain satisfactory academic achievement with an overall GPA of no less than 3.75/4.00 and a science GPA of no less than 3.50/4.00.
- Completion of the Dental Admission Test (DAT) by January 15 of the year of dental school enrollment with an academic average score of no less than 20 and no individual score less than 16.
- Completion of all prerequisite courses for dental school with a letter grade of C or better at UF. AP, IB, AICE, dual enrollment and/or transfer credits are not allowed for any prerequisite courses for the BS-DMD program.
- English: 6 semester hours
- Biology: 8 semester hours
- General Chemistry: 8 semester hours
- Organic Chemistry: 8 semester hours
- Physics: 8 semester hours
- Microbiology: 3 semester hours (upper-level coursework)
- Biochemistry: 4 semester hours (upper-level coursework)
- Satisfactory completion of bachelor’s degree requirements and good standing with the UF College of Agricultural & Life Sciences.
- Completion of the UF Professional Application with a $37 fee.
- Completion of a criminal background check with results deemed favorable by the College and University.
- Completion of a Dean’s Certification Form verifying educational disciplinary records with results deemed favorable by the College and University.
- Ongoing full disclosure of any past or future violations of the law or charges of misconduct.
- Completion of required immunizations and TB screenings.
- Secure mandatory health insurance coverage by enrolling in the UF student health insurance plan or by providing proof of comparable coverage and signing required waiver.